- 1 cup broccoli
- 1/2 cup cauliflower (optional)
- 2 tbsp. carrot, finely grated
- 2 Tbsp. red cabbage, finely grated
- 2 Tbsp. yellow squash, finely grated
- 1/4 cup Barbecued Onions (optional)
- 1 whole-wheat tortilla, chapati or pita
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 3 thin slivers dill pickle
- 1/2 cup lettuce, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 2 slices avocado (optional)
- Dash of sea salt, Spike or salt free seasoning (optional)
Cut broccoli into thin lengths, using only florets and upper portion of stalk. Break cauliflower into tiny florets. Place broccoli and cauliflower in vegetable steamer, covered, over boiling water for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender when pierced with tip of sharp knife. Combine carrot, cabbage and squash and mix thoroughly.
Barbecued Onions for Goodwich:
- 2 tsp. safflower oil
- 1 small white onion, sliced
- 1/2 Tbsp. barbecue sauce
In a small skillet, heat oil. Add onion and saute until it begins to soften. Add barbecue sauce and continue sauteing, stirring frequently, until onion is thoroughly wilted. Makes enough for 3 or 4 Goodwiches. Leftover Barbecued Onions are delicious in any vegetable soup.
Assemble the Goodwich:
In a hot, dry skillet, heat tortilla or chapati, turning from one side to the other until soft but not crisp. Place on large sheet of plastic wrap. If using pita, heat in oven for a few minutes to soften it and cut a sliver from top so pocket opens easily. COmbine all other ingredients, mix well and stuff into pocket.
Spread tortilla with mayonnaise. Add a line of broccoli down center. Crumble cauliflower and place a line of it on broccoli. Add a line of pickle, a line of grated vegetables, a line of Barbecued Onions. Top with lettuce, sprouts and avocado. Sprinkle with Spike, if desired. Roll tortilla tightly, crepe-style, around vegetables. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap until ready to serve. This Goodwich will keep for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
Recipe via Fit for Life