- 1 cup long-grain brown rice or basmati rice
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1-2 Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 4 cups lettuce--iceberg, butter, red leaf or romaine (or any combination of these)
- 2 cups spinach or arugula, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 1/2 cup pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced
Basmati rice is particularly special in this recipe but it if it is not available, long-grain brown rice is a good substitute.
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. unrefined safflower oil
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. unrefinned safflower oil
Prepare the zucchini:
Heat oil in wok or large skillet. Add zucchini slices, and toss in oil. Sprinkle with water and continue tossing for several minutes until zucchini turns a brighter color. Add basil and oregano. Toss gently and set aside.
Garlic Herb Dressing:
- 1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
- 5 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. dried chervil
- 1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
- 1/4 tsp. dried mint
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp. dried tarragon
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt, seasoned salt or salt-free seasoning
- fresh ground black pepper
Place all ingredients in bowl, and whip with fork or whisk, or combine all ingredients in blender or food processor.
Assemble the salad:
Wash and dry lettuce, and break into bite-size pieces, and combine in large bowl with spinach or arugula and sprouts. Add rice, zucchini, olives and dressing. Toss well to combine all flavors.