- 2 Large Eggplants
- (optional) 8 oz. extra firm tofu
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- ½ c. pearl barley
- 2 c. baby spinach
- 3 tbs. chopped fresh basil
- Red pepper flakes to taste
1. Skin and chop eggplant into cubes.
2. Coat large nonstick skillet with 2 tbs. olive oil or nonstick cooking spray. Over medium-high heat, cook eggplant, onion, red peppers, garlic, and tofu until veggies have softened.
3. Add tomatoes, stock and barley. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until barley is tender.
4. Stir in spinach and basil into mixture.
Recipe via MarthFry.org